Friday, October 18, 2019 | 6 – 10 p.m.
Location: Exposition Park's South Lawn
- *The RSVP list is now closed for this event, but all are still welcome to attend. Please note that a free RSVP does not guarantee admission, though it does help us plan for attendance and also helps speed up the onsite check-in process. Access to the event will be first come, first served. In the event the program is at capacity, a standby line will form.*
Lucas Nights: The Art of the Card—Tarot and Lotería will be an engaging evening to explore the classic card decks which use imagery to communicate narratives about the human experience. Figurative illustrations based on artwork by Art Nouveau artist Alphonse Mucha, who is represented by more than 60 works in the Lucas Museum collections, are regularly featured on tarot decks.
Join us for this enchanting evening under the stars and enjoy:
- A conversation about the history of tarot and Lotería imagery through a panel discussion with Lucas Museum curator Erin M. Curtis, writer and scholar Gloria Arjona, and artist and tarot reader Marcella Kroll. (taking place twice during the night, at 7 and 8:30 pm)
- Tarot and Lotería card making
- Live onstage tarot readings
- Lotería games
- Private tarot readings (drawings for these limited spots will happen throughout the night)
- Raffles with treats from our Expo Park neighbors
- dublab DJ Wyldeflower
- Food trucks The Bléu Kitchen, Taco Mell, and CreativEats
- Cash bar
- Four Seasons - Spring - #1 of 4, c. 1896; Allegorie de la musique, c. 1898; La Plume, c. 1899 Alphonse Mucha
Directions and Parking
This event will take place on Exposition Park's South Lawn (899 Exposition Park Drive, Los Angeles, CA, 90037)—just south of the Natural History Museum, north of the Coliseum, and east of Bill Robertson Lane. The Exposition Park parking lot entrance is at 39th and Figueroa. Parking is $12 during the day and $15 after 5 pm. Cash and credit card accepted.
We also ask that you consider using ride shares or public transportation to get to the event. The Metro Expo Line's Expo Park / USC and Expo / Vermont stations are just a few minutes walk from the South Lawn.